The ASXvOLT16 is a 16-10G-port XGS-PON virtual Optical Line Terminal (vOLT) with 4 x 100G/40G QSFP28 ﬁxed ports. The 10G ports, 100G uplink ports, and console/management USB ports are all on the front panel. All 10G ports operate at wire-speed by default and support standard XGS-PON transceivers. The QSFP28 ports support 100G and 40G operation modes, as well as being conﬁgurable as 4 x 25GbE or 4 x10 GbE modes using DAC breakout cables. This vOLT supports redundant hot-swappable PSUs and fans, and is available with a front-to-back or back-to-front airﬂow direction.
Edgecore open OLTs include the open source software components ONIE, Open Network Linux, Open Optical Monitoring (OOM) API, the Redfish hardware management API, and the OpenOLT Adapter (vOLTHA driver) for operation in SDN Enabled Broadband Access (SEBA) or R-CORD open infrastructures defined through the Open Network Foundation (ONF).
Key Features and Benefits
- 4 x QSFP28 switch ports, each supporting 1 x 100 GbE or 1 x 40 GbE, or via breakout cables 2 x 50 GbE, 4 x 25 GbE, or 4 x 10 GbE.
- Layer 2 or Layer 3 forwarding at 300 Gbps (full duplex).
- Supports hot/cold aisles with front-to-back airﬂow SKU.
- All ports on front; PSUs and fans accessible from rear.
- Hot-swappable, load-sharing, redundant AC or -48V DC PSUs.
- 5+1 redundant, hot-swappable fan modules.
- Handles the abstraction between the protocol and the native hardware RPC.
- Bare-Metal hardware switch pre-loaded with diagnostics software and with Open Network Install Environment (ONIE) for automated loading of compatible open source and commerical NOS offerings.
|Traditional PON||vOLT with VOLTHA|
|Orchestration (XOS)(e.g. services added or subtracted)||Proprietary connectivity to OSS/BSS||Open Orchestration||Flexible and instant creation of virtual services. Demand and technology improvements can be kept up with by using virtual methods through the “cloudification” of the network (Services, subscriber gear (CPE) and OLT are all virtualized above the controller layer.)|
|Management Platform (Proprietary vs. Open)||Proprietary Management Software||Open Control Software (ONOS)||Network centric view of data flow – data flows can be controlled with a bird’s eye view for optimal flows.Reduced OPEX using the same control platform across the entire network – the days of multiple different proprietary control platforms are over.|
|Hardware Adapters (Proprietary vs. Open)||None – end-to-end proprietary software.||Open Common vOLTHA||Any underlying vOLT hardware can be used with vOLTHA – think of it as similar to a plug and play environment.|
|Hardware (Proprietary Chassis vs. Open Commodity 1 RU Blades)||Proprietary Single Vendor Hardware||Open – Any Vendor Hardware||Hardware becomes a commodity – reduced CAPEX when hardware vendors produce generic PON equipment controlled through openFlow.|