The Cassini packet transponder enables network operators to easily extend and migrate existing metro and long-haul Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) networks to add new 100G capacities and extend inter-datacenter and Layer 3 services.
The Cassini is a 1.5RU form factor with system throughput of 3.2Tbps based on Broadcom StrataXGS™ Tomahawk™ Plus switch silicon. The Cassini design offers sixteen ﬁxed 100 Gigabit Ethernet QSFP28 ports, plus eight linecard slots to incorporate a ﬂexible mix of additional 100GbE ports or ACO/DCO optical ports based on coherent DSP and optical transceivers from leading optical technology partners.
The open network switch is loaded with the Open Network Install Environment (ONIE), which supports the installation of compatible network operating system (NOS) software, including the open source options Open Network Linux and other commercial NOS offerings.
Cassini supports Ethernet and optical line cards with MACsec security to enable secure encrypted connections on both client-side links and metro or wide area connections.
Key Features and Benefits
- High Capacity: Full 3.2 Tbps switching fabric and future 6.4 Tbps switching fabric.
- Metro Transmission: 200G 16QAM coherent plug-in card and future 400G coherent plug-in card.
- Cost Effective: Combined switch and transport function in one box.
- Open and Flexible: Line-side plug-in (CFP2-ACO, CFP2-DCO, 2 x QSFP28). Non-coherent/coherent subscription ratios of 1:1 to 15:1 (also grey ﬁber/color ﬁber subscription ratios), ACO "plug-and-play" with automatic conditioning of the analogue line.
- Easier to Use: Transport library supports API functionalities; automated monitoring, failure report, etc. Abstracts complexity of L1 transmission.
- OCP Compliant. Supports ONIE, OOM (TBD).
- Bare-metal hardware switch pre-loaded with diagnostics software and the Open Network Install Environment (ONIE) for automated loading of compatible open source and commercial NOS offerings.
- Long-Life Reliability: Redundant 60 mm fan (3+1 dual-rotor fan assemblies). Redundant Power (1+1 PSU).